Stedman's Medical Dictionary, 28th Edition has been thoroughly reviewed and updated to make this dictionary the most reliable resource available for healthcare, including medical students, physicians, educators, researchers, and medical language specialists. This new edition includes more than 107,000 terms and definitions, more than 5,000 new to this edition. More than 45 consultants from all the major medical and health science specialties have reviewed each word for accuracy and clarity, including new consultants for the specialties of endocrinology, gastroenterology, geriatrics, and rheumatology. The art program has also been extensively enhanced and now includes approximately 1,500 images and illustrations.
Readers will recognize the authoritative content contained in this new edition, and want to add it to their list of must have references.
- High Profile Terms - Terms that so profoundly affect the practice of medicine that they warrant more than the standard dictionary definition; they are highlighted in blue boxes. Users can develop knowledge of the key concepts in medicine. Not highlighted in the competition.
- TERMINOLOGIA ANATOMICA - This edition uses the Terminologia Anatomica for the Gross Anatomy and Neuroanatomy as sanctioned by the Federative Committee on Anatomical Terminology. This feature is not found in the competition.
- Art Program includes approximately 1500 color illustrations, photographs, and tables. The art program is used to expand and clarify the meanings of the dictionary terms; liberal use of four color throughout. The illustrations, photographs, and tables were chosen, with the help of our customers and consultants, to help the reader develop a better understanding of the terms-over 400 more images than the competition.
- Easy-to-find Subentries - each subentry is on a new line for easier readability.
- Cross-References in Blue - Some entries have no definition. They refer the user to a preferred synonym. These cross-references are in blue to help the reader quickly find the definition.
- Building Blocks - 90% of medical language comes from 1200 Greek and Latin words. To aid in learning these words, the suffixes, prefixes and combining forms are marked with the universal symbol for recycling.
- Bonus CD-ROM includes Stedman's Plus 2005 Medical/Pharmaceutical Spellchecker containing over half-a-million terms, and over 300 LifeArt Anatomy medical clip art and 3-D images.
- Over 45 consultants from all the major health sciences specialties
- New precision cut thumb tabs allows readers to easily search for terms
- New page design for easy readability