CPT® 2023 Professional Edition is the definitive AMA-authored resource to help healthcare professionals correctly report and bill medical procedures and services. Healthcare professionals want accurate reimbursement. Payers want efficient claims processing. Correct reporting and billing of medical procedures and services begins with CPT® 2023 Professional Edition.
Only the AMA, with the help of physicians and other experts in the healthcare community, creates and maintains the CPT code set. No other codebook has the accurate, complete official guidelines for the latest and current procedural terminology for procedures and services to help you code medical services and procedures properly.
NEW IN 2023 EDITION!
The CPT E/M Companion 2023 is the definitive AMA-authored supplement reference guide to the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) 2023 Professional Edition. It is designed to help users understand the changes to certain evaluation and management (E/M) services; how to report these new and revised or consolidated codes; and how to apply the revised and new guidelines effective Jan 1, 2023.
To enable consistency with the 2021 revisions to the E/M office and other outpatient codes, the 2023 E/M changes will provide users with a streamlined set of E/M guidelines that apply across multiple sites of service; revisions to code descriptors that reflect the structure approved in the office visit revisions; and a uniform Medical Decision Making (MDM) table for all the sites of services noted, as well as office or other outpatient visits.
This AMA-authored publication is designed with intermediate users in mind. Therefore, this publication’s content is written and organized in a manner that will make sense to all intermediate users familiar with the E/M section of the CPT code set. To conserve space and to maximize the value-added content, this publication does not reproduce most of the tables or guidelines in the CPT 2023 Professional Edition.
The CPT® 2023 Professional Edition codebook covers hundreds of code, guideline and text changes and features:
- CPT® Changes, CPT® Assistant, and Clinical Examples in Radiology citations — provides cross-referenced information in popular AMA resources that can enhance your understanding of the CPT code set
- A comprehensive index — aid in locating codes related to a specific procedure, service, anatomic site, condition, synonym, eponym or abbreviation to allow for a clearer, quicker search
- Anatomical and procedural illustrations — help improve coding accuracy and understanding of the anatomy and procedures discussed
- Coding tips throughout each section — improve understanding of the nuances of the code set
- Enhanced codebook table of contents — enable a quick search of the codebook’s content for quick access
- Section-specific table of contents — provide a useful tool to navigate effectively and quickly through each section’s codes
- Summary of additions, deletions and revisions — provide a summary and quick reference of the 2023 changes in the codes without having to compare editions
- Multiple appendices — offer additional information for modifiers, clinical examples, add-on codes, vascular families re-sequenced codes, and MAAAs and PLA services
- New Appendix Q — provide coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccines and their associated administration codes
- New Appendix R — provide digital medicine services taxonomy
- Comprehensive E/M code selection tables — aid physicians and coders in assigning the most appropriate evaluation and management codes
- Notes pages at the end of every code set section and subsection
CPT E/M Companion 2023 is intended to help users understand and navigate the 2023 E/M revisions that have been made across numerous service groups, namely inpatient and observation care services; consultations services; emergency department services; nursing facility services; home and residence services; and prolonged services. Hence, this book is divided into six chapters:
- Chapter 1: Inpatient and observation care services
- Chapter 2: Consultations
- Chapter 3: Emergency department services
- Chapter 4: Nursing facility services
- Chapter 5: Home and residence services
- Chapter 6: Prolonged services
Each chapter will cover the following topics:
- Changes for the affected services, including guideline changes
- Code group consolidations and/or deletions
- Reporting considerations
A detailed review of the changes, along with key practical coding and reporting considerations to support correct use of these new and revised codes, are included in this supplement.