| Product Description
The Coders’ Desk Reference for ICD-10-PCS Procedures addresses the challenge of
translating common procedural nomenclature used by providers to the corresponding
ICD-10-PCS coding terminology. Correct procedure coding is dependent on the ability of the
coder to translate the terminology in provider documentation to the appropriate procedural
terminology of ICD-10-PCS.
This resource is organized by common procedural nomenclature used in the hospital setting
and linked to the related root operation table(s); the procedure is described in layman’s terms,
translated to ICD-10-PCS root operation terminology, and the corresponding root operation
table(s) is identified.
- Optum360 Edge — Lay descriptions. Updated with the 2022 ICD-10-PCS codes, lay descriptions are
provided for the most commonly performed inpatient procedures. Corresponding ICD-10-PCS root
operations are identified and defined.
- Optum360 Edge — Clinical focus points. When more than one root operation may apply, key
procedural terms differentiating the root operations are highlighted in focus points to ensure that the
correct root operation is selected.
- Optum360 Edge — Illustrations at the code level. Illustrations of pertinent anatomy and surgical
procedures are included to enhance understanding.
- Ease of use. Developed to work hand-in-hand with your Optum360 ICD-10-PCS codebook.
- Enhance understanding of ICD-10-PCS. The lay descriptions were developed to enhance
understanding of the ICD-10-PCS terminology and definitions of root operations, body parts,
approaches, devices, and qualifiers.
- Designed for novices and seasoned coders. The lay descriptions, illustrations, and other
supplemental resources contained in this resource are designed for coders of all skill levels.